There are some many ways to spend or save at the grocers. Not all of them work for everyone. Here is a few ways that do and do not work for me.
1) plan out what I want to eat for a week, because things change during the week, and if I have to buy stuff for just one meal it gets more expensive that way
2)only look at on sale items. sometimes they are not cheaper than store brand that is not on sale. If the store brand is the same or better.
3)clip coupon for things you don't normally eat. just because there is a coupon doesn't mean you have to buy it.
4) stock up on prepackaged foods, we have a few on hand, but too many will run up the cost and take up room in the freezer
1) look at what is on sale before I think about a few possible meals for the week
2) stock up on things that can be frozen, or have a longer shelf life, like pasta sauce. They are handy for when you are in a hurry. We like to get a pack of salmon and freeze individual portions for later. Also bags of cut corn when they are on sale, a good quick side veggie.
3) eat with the seasons, the fresh produce are cheaper when they are in season
4) run to different stores for sales, but only if they are near each other.
5) ask for rain checks of they are out of the sale items.
6) eat simple meals, they are easier to cook and better for you