- New kids toys - I am not saying all new toys are bad, but I have found decent and gently used kids toys at garage sales and craigslist. The only toy I haven't found used is LEGOs.
- Fancy hotels - it seems that the pricier their get, the more the charge for the extras, like internet. Plus, I am only really just sleeping and keeping my stuff there.
ALT: hostels and budget inns, they often have free internet and breakfast.
- In car DVD players/GPS - one more thing to break and cost a lot to fix.
ALT: portable DVD players, you can take it with you anywhere other than the car
- Unitasker gadgets - they just take up space in your drawers, unless you use it more than once a week for that purpose or no other what of getting around it
ALT: multitasking gadgets
- Bank and credit card fees - unless they give me a reward greater than the fee, then maybe (like earn in 5% cash back on everything, and fee was $50 annually)
- Trash bags - do we really need to pay so much for re enforced bags, plus these are awful for the environment.
ALT: we get more than enough bags from grocery shopping, or composting and recycling will reduce 90% of trash.
- wrapping paper -
ALT - gift wrap bags
- Books & magazine - I am all for reading, but I don't want to keep all this stuff that I will never again
ALT: use a book swap, the library. If you really want to support the writers, send them a check.
- Big weddings - it's nice to celebrate people getting married, but there's a lot of fluff in weddings that no one but the bride cares about: flowers, brides maid dresses, the cake, fancy invitations, table dressings, favors
ALT: a small and simple wedding and a kick ass bash afterward - that's what most guests would remember anyways: the food and drinks, the band/DJ, and the fun they had or not.
Thursday, May 26, 2011
money drains & alternatives
Recently I have considered canning my cable, but Mr. LLF wants to keep it. Since we don't spend a whole lot on entertainment, I am keeping it, for now. I am looking into alternatives to cable TV with netflix, hulu, and amazon prime. Then I wanted to look into other money draining expenses and their alternatives.