Thursday, June 2, 2011

Splitting the bulk.

I love the warehouse stores for bulk items like toilet paper and laundry detergent.  It's good quality.  It's lower in price when the other stores don't have sales, and you don't have to wait for coupons and sales if you are in a pinch.  They can be a time saver too.

However, I don't like to get food there so much.  It's great if you are entertaining or have a big family that will eat the food in bulk fast.  The problem in buying food in bulk is that you may not eat it fast enough before it goes bad.  If part of it goes bad and you throw it out, then you would have wasted some money.

Let's say you wanted some hummus.  It comes in a big tub.  Well, not everyone on your family will want hummus.  For a dollar less, you can get 1/4 of the hummus at the grocery store.  You want to eat hummus, but not every day for the next 2 weeks to a month.  Do buy it at the warehouse store? Or do you buy it at the grocer er? Same with salads, dip, and any other perishable.

My solution is to split it with someone.  Since my family live very close and are very close, we will split the bulk food sometimes.  If I get a tub of dip, I would give 1/3-1/2 to my mom.  This way we can have variety, not waste food and money, and keep the cost lower.  I know that this isn't a solution everyone can use, but are there friends/neighbors that are willing to split the items?

No comments:

Post a Comment