Thursday, July 21, 2011

keeping up with tech

Recently, I started looking into getting a new cellphone plan.  While I compare the plans from different companies, I also have to look at their phones.  Why?  Because there is no one standard for the various networks, and the companies can't/don't want to flash phones over.

I found a plan that I liked (can live with the cost).  Then I started to look at the phones.  These were smart phones (because the plan requires them and because that plan was better than the non-smartphone plan).  I always worry that if I bought the phone, then something new will come out and I will have to buy another one soon (in less than 2 years)because they will stop supporting it or it can't keep with the network. 

I always worry about that when I am buying anything electronic.  I don't want to spend money on technology that will be obsolete, which is inevitable.  It's even more worrisome when you are looking at new technology.  Remember the battle between HD DVD and Blue Ray?  No?  It's because BlueRay won and no one buys HD DVDs now.  Of course, I'd never buy the newest thing then it first comes out, even though I really want to.  I get all geeked up when I see something new, like all-electric vehicles.

I remember when I didn't really worry about spending some money every 2 years to upgrade.  I must be getting old or something because I am starting to think that spending money on  new tech every 2 years is getting to be too much.  I want something that will last me at least 3 or 4 years.  That's asking a lot since Wirth's law, Moore's law, and Kryder's law basically makes everything obsolete within 4 years or less.  I would like to get the best or close to top of the line, so I can wait longer between having to upgrade. The longer I wait, the worse it seems get. It's a love-hate relationship I have with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment